Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Home on Monday!

We are expecting our papers to arrive back at the embassy today. We were hoping to catch the evening flight out but it is booked, as is the Friday evening flight. R went ahead and scheduled us to leave on the first available flight which is on Monday. We're a little disappointed to have to wait the extra days but it we'll still make it home in time for my birthday-and yes, I still want a blackberry pie fromm Paul's bakery (hint, hint)

The past two days have been fun. We took the foster mom and some of the other girls from her house out to lunch and then yesterday she had us over for a traditional Marshallese meal. She fixed lobster, grouper, red snapper, coconut rice, breadfruit in coconut milk and steamed coconut. She showed us how to open coconuts and G even got to drink from one. It wasn't quite what she expected but she was happy that she got to try it.

Since we've been here, three other families have arrived. I met another family from VA-in fact, they are from Culpeper, about 30 minutes from us, so it will be really nice to have that connection. Their baby is approx. 3 weeks younger than Baby K so basically our girls are the same age.

Speaking of Baby K, she is getting bigger every day. I'm amazed at how much she has changed in just a couple weeks time and how strong she is getting. I want her to stay little for awhile, especially since this is the last addition for the Jones family. I'm not sure R and I can endure another international trip. When we returned home from China with G, I was pretty adamant that we wouldn't make another trip like that, but like labor pains, you forget how hard the trip was until you are in the middle of it again.

G has been a real trooper. Of course, I've been a little bit more relaxed with her as well-staying up late, eating peanut butter crackers for breakfast, eating a cookie in the middle of the day,......... I know she'll be glad to get home and back into a routine, as will I. I don't know what I'm going to do with all my extra time when it doesn't take 2 hours to do one load of laundry and I don't have to boil water to wash bottles.

Enjoy the pics-I've taken quite of few on this trip but because it takes so long to load, I've only posted a few. For anyone interested, you can come over to the Jones casa and I'll bore you with lots of slideshows :-)



Me, G and Baby K in the sling


G drinking coconut water


Me and the two Mary's

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Chris, I'm so sorry that you have to wait the extra days, especially when it's not even because you're waiting on the paperwork! I know you must be so anxious to come home, but do try to enjoy the time that you have left there. You have had such a wonderful opportunity to soak up the local culture - I'm envious because we really didn't have that chance in China. Before you know it, you WILL be home and this trip will become a memory.

    Your pictures are just priceless. While boiling bottles and two hours for laundry must be taking their toll (no wonder you want to come home!), it doesn't show in the pictures. It still just looks like you're in paradise. I guess I just didn't realize how much work paradise could be!

    I, for one, would love to be "bored" by seeing all your pictures! Obviously, you need time to get settled at home first, so I will try not to pester you, but please know that I really would love to hear more about your trip. In the meantime, I will continue checking your blog several times a day. :)

    Enjoy the next few days, and I hope you have a very safe and uneventful journey home. Love, Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Chris & gang! Siena was very happy to get a post card from G. That was thoughtful. We can't wait to see more pictures when you get settled back home not to mention you guys. Try not to think about time & just hang loose on the beach. And of course those ventures with all those nice people are priceless.
    Yeah...coconut milk is not milky at all. You need to make G a virgin Pina Colada sometime.Her floral headpiece is beautiful. Are the flowers real? How is Aunt M holding out?
    Safe travels.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete