Saturday, January 26, 2013

Just strollin' along, singin' a song........

Just strollin' along, singin' a song.....this is how I feel about God most of the time.  I know he's there but I often don't take the time to really acknowledge his presence in my life. 

There have been a few times when I have been able to say, "I saw God today!" Like when I first laid eyes on the pictures of  my beautiful babies, but for the most part, my relationship with God is on autopilot. 








It is kind of like when you're driving one of those antique cars at the amusement park.  You are thinking that you are in control, just driving along, but in reality, there is a strong, rigid guide underneath of the car that won't allow you to jump off of the track.

And then there was yesterday.  Looking back over the past couple of weeks I can see now that God was in control. 

My Dad has been having some indigestion and increased fatigue.  His primary care doctor prescribed him something for the indigestion and the fatigue symptoms were simply written off to increased dose of one of the medications that he takes for Parkinson's.  But to be on the safe side, his doctor ordered a stress test.

He took the test and a couple of days later the nurse called and said that he would need to follow-up with a cardiologist because the one side of his heart was pumping at a reduced rate.  As luck would have it, the cardiologist had an opening for a consult on Thursday and the next thing I knew he was scheduled for a heart catheterization on Friday morning.  We were all a little nervous about the very quickly scheduled test and with good reason.  It was determined that he had a 99% blockage on the left side of his heart.  The cardiologist was able to insert a stent and immediately the blood started pumping correctly and the right side of the heart started to relax from the strain of having to do the work of both sides.

Less than 24 hours after the catheterization, my Dad left the hospital  and is now at home resting.  His only instruction, not to lift anything over five pounds for three days, not because it would be difficult on his heart but because it could strain the area in the femoral artery where they inserted the tube for the test. 

Luck or divine intervention?  I guess it depends on where you stand with God but I will add this moment to my list of days when "I saw God!"

No comments:

Post a Comment